Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Bye Bye Coach McD

So the Broncos fired Coach McDaniels. Not a huge surprise that he would be fired, but kind of surprising that he was fired mid-season. I think that he could have success in the future as a head coach, but he was in way over his head in Denver.

Like I have said before, the coaching hasn't been the issue in Denver. It is the player decisions. The NFL has become too complicated for one person to handle the coaching and personnel decisions - especially a 34 year old rookie head coach. Owner Pat Bowlen needs to hire a solid General Manager first and foremost.

I have detailed my issues with the Broncos handling of the draft and roster on this blog many times. Shanahan left the Broncos with a solid offense, and it was the defense that led to his firing. Under the McDaniels regime, the Broncos only used 7 of their 19 draft picks on defensive players, and only two of those were for defensive lineman. I am tempted to discuss all of the other terrible roster moves that McDaniels made, but I really don't have the time to cover it right now.

So, who should the Broncos hire? There are loads of names being floated around right now, such as former coaches Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Brian Billick, or a college coach such as Troy Calhoun, or maybe a NFL coach who is still coaching (Jeff Fisher or John Fox). If the Broncos want to hold on to all of the time and money they have already put into Tebow, they should hire Jon Gruden. Before last year's draft, ESPN did a feature with Gruden each of the top QBs in the draft (Bradford, McCoy, Claussen, and Tebow). Gruden had the biggest mancrush on Tebow that I have ever seen. At one point, the expression on his face looked as though he just jizzed in his pants while watching Tebow.

But, I don't think that the Broncos should throw all their chips in Tebows basket. Hire the right coach and GM, and if Tebow is good enough to be a QB in the NFL, he will become one. There are far bigger issues on the defense and offensive line that the Broncos need to tackle first.

2 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

N-Lita -
That is some funny shit you wrote on Gruden and Tebow. As far as I'm concerned they are both douches who have no business with the donks. Tebow was McDouches project and was going to fail. I don't want some faith-based football player prosteltizing on network time with his bible references painted on his face. He was a good college player and was and is also a world class weirdo. Bronco fans want to restore some normalcy to the franchise. They are in Denver, not CO springs.
I'm not sure how Gruden suddenly became such a world class coach. I think he lucked out with a decent team and crappy field when they won. Cowher? Sure - Awesome, but who's paying.
I can't think of anyone with NFL experience who would take the predicted low salary to coach the personnel disaster at Denver.
God help us if this Urban douche from Florida (who wants to continue getting it hot with tebow gets the job.
I couldn't stand to watch the donks all season. I think I intentionally watched one game. I used to watch them all from no matter where I was in the world.
It's going to be ugly in Denver for at least 3 years...hopefully not longer.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Me said...

I am not campaigning for Gruden. I was just saying that if they do hire someone like him, it means that the Broncos are not giving up on the Tebow project. I still have a gut feeling that they will hire Kubiak, if he is fired by the Texans. But maybe he will just be brought in as an OC. Like you, I just hope the Broncos get better, cuz they have been an embarrassment to watch this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home