Friday, April 15, 2005

Sheffield Incident

I am sure that those of you who are sports fans have seen about a bajillion replays of the Sheffield incident at last nights Red Sox-Yankees game. That was about all that sports talk radio could cover today, and everyone had an opinion on who was in the wrong. So I am going to add mine. I don't really hold either the fan or Sheffield at fault. Watching the replay over and over and over again on Sportscenter last night, it appeared as though the fan wasn't intentionally trying to hit him. He was just moving his arm and it hit Shef in the face. I do think that it was right to boot him out of the game. I also don't blame Sheffield for going after the guy. He was running down the sideline, his eye on the ball, he was bending down to pick it up, and got hit in the head. He was in a vulnerable position, and knowing that most of the fans their hate him, it is understandable that he freaked. This is in real time, and he didn't have the luxury of thinking it over in slow motion. If he would have gone after the fans after he threw the ball, then he would have crossed the line in my book. The kid doing security on the sideline did a great job jumping between the fan and the player. One thing I can say after this whole incident is that I still hate the Yankees, and I am to get sick of the Red Sox and all the hype around them. Is it me or are Boston fans changing from sore losers into sore winners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home