Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina

I have had a really hard time collecting my thoughts and feelings for a post on Hurricane Katrina. I feel sadness and sympathy for the survivors, especially those who are still stuck in New Orleans, and for those who perished during and after the storm. The footage beamed from my television of the destruction in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana is shocking. It is impossible to truly empathize with those who suffered and still suffer, as I cannot fathom being in their shoes.

I never thought I would see a refugee condition like this in the United States, and I am extremely angry about the slow response by the government to the situation. The mayor of New Orleans was warning everyone of the impending disaster prior to Sunday. Previous warnings of the levees’ vulnerability were unheeded. The hurricane hit the coast on Sunday. Why then did it take three days before the President made a speech and dedicated military support to the region? (And why did he play golf at a country club on Monday? And why didn’t he call off his vacation until Tuesday?) FEMA has now become part of the Homeland Security Department, and after 9-11, I thought that our nation was supposed to be more prepared for a huge disaster. But the response that is needed still hasn’t shown up. Much of it wasn’t dispatched until almost 72 hours after Katrina struck. The National Guard in the region is lacking both the manpower and the equipment needed for rescue and security operations because of their responsibilities in Iraq (also, the funds to shore up the levees went to Iraq). This utter lack of preparedness has cost many lives and greatly increased the suffering of the survivors. There must be accountability for this. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not blaming the White House, Congress, and the Department of Homeland Security for Hurricane Katrina. But I am blaming them for the poor emergency response.

I do want to thank all of the rescue workers for the work they have done under unbelievably difficult conditions. The Coast Guard deserves a huge shout out for all of their work. The footage of the Coast Guard’s rescues was awe inspiring and heroic. They have been performing their jobs fully and admirably, saving many lives.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

1 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why was the president taking a 5 week vacation in the first place?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home