Friday, February 23, 2007

1-50

I compiled a list of the top 100 (non-U2) albums on my Ipod. No artist was allowed more than three albums on the list, and I tried to avoid greatest hits and live albums (but a few snuck in). This list was compiled quickly, so I am sure that I will have some major issues with it tomorrow, but here it is. It is somewhat of a "stuck on a desert island" list. Obviously, since it is music on my Ipod, you will probably feel as though I am missing some albums. Can you think of any albums that I should have included?

1 Radiohead - OK Computer
2 Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind
3 Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
4 Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
5 Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind
6 Stevie Ray Vaughn - The Sky is Crying
7 PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
8 Outkast - Aquemini
9 Bob Marley - Legend
10 Beck - Odelay
11 Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
12 Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin 4
13 Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
14 Coldplay - Parachutes
15 Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
16 Pixies - Doolittle
17 Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
18 Johnny Cash - American Recordings
19 Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
20 Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville
21 REM - Automatic for the People
22 Radiohead - Kid A
23 Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
24 Dr. Dre - The Chronic
25 Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
26 Deathcab For Cutie - Plans
27 Pearl Jam - Ten
28 White Stripes - Elephant
29 Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison
30 The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
31 Beck - Sea Change
32 Broken Social Scene - You Got It In People
33 Van Morrison - Moondance
34 Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
35 Jay Z - Black Album
36 James - Laid
37 Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
38 REM - Out of Time
39 Radiohead - The Bends
40 Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals - Live From Mars
41 Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
42 Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
43 Jeff Buckley - Grace
44 Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood
45 Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin 1
46 Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
47 Deathcab For Cutie - Photo Album
48 PJ Harvey - Stories of the City, Stories of the Sea
49 Arcade Fire - Funeral
50 Spoon - Gimme Fiction

12 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever heard of a little band called the Beatles? White Album, Sgt. Pepper?

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tribe and Outkast in the top 20? I like it.

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice mix of some classics and some more recent "indie" stuff. I would add GnR Appetite of Destruction, Built to Spill The Normal Years, and maybe something by the Flaming Lips on there.

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em" or "Too Legit to Quit"

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a little Ratt: Ratt n Roll or my favorite, Invasion of Privacy. I know those two are on your Ipod, if they're not they should be, I'll burn them for you. I'm surprised that Joan Biaz didn't break the top 100 either.

Urbs

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...intersting top 20...Not sure I agree, but some of the same albums and bands would pop up in my list. I'd promote Dylan's Blonde on Blonde to a higher slot, also the Pixies doolittle. You forgot the Stone's her satanic majesty requests album, Neil Young's Rust, Springsteen's Nebraska, numerous Built to Spill gems, Silver Jews Starlight Walker, and for the Beatles, I'd go with Revolver. Anyhoo...just a few suggestions. I also like the GNR appetite suggestion and Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin.
JSG

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Me said...

Nebraska is on there in the top twenty. In hindsight, I think I put a few albums way too high, like Coldplay. And my choice of Dylan - Time Out of Mind above B on B is a little odd, but that is the album I find myself listening to the most. Probably has something to do with the production (Lanois). My ear is highly tuned to his work, after my years of U2 listening. I no longer have any GnR albums, so that is why Appetite didn't make it. Also, I don't have any Beatles stuff, but Revolver and Rubber Soul would have made the list if I did.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a few more additions...
We've left Africa out of the mix and shouldn't underestimate the influence of the the likes of Fela Kuti and Habib Koite. Especially Fela. Also - As I flipped through my case of Tapes and CDs. Yes TAPES (that I actually play on my stereo - a nice one too - a NAD) - i noticed a pretty substantial influence of the Grateful fucking dead on my earlier years. But now I hate jam bands and even most bluegrass. I don't even smoke dope. That said, I enjoy the influences on those very bands - Woody Guthrie and traditional American Folk music particularly. How do you account for this transition in tastes?
Bozeman is having an actual big time Rock concert in March - modest mouse will be playing. Add their Moon and Antarctica to your list. Fantastic.
jsg

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

N-
On a somewhat related note, I'm listening to the u2 san diego show you sent me last year or maybe 2 ago. Anyhow, during One - why does Bono always claim that he is there to "play jesus". What does that mean? What exactly is he trying to say? Also, in past shows - he always had an improv to one that included "do you hear me comin', do you hear me call, do you hear me knockin', knockin' at your door.." toward the end of One. What happened with that. I thought it was the best shit they had in their repretoir.
Answers please. And, rate your top 20 U2 songs.
jsg

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Me said...

I agree with you on the end of "One" during the Zoo TV tour. I always loved that part too, and I have heard that he occasionally would throw it in during later shows. It is similar to the added lines at the end of "With or Without You" on the Rattle and Hum film. Bono sings, "yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter light, one heart, one hope, one love, with or without you". I think that this was the origination of the song One, and those extra lines added a huge amount to the intensity at the end of WOWY. U2 songs are normally best live during the tour for the album they were released on or during the next tour. I think a song like One may become routine and the extra flourishes are left out. Those flourishes are added to the songs that are still fresh to the band.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good list. Got me to pull out some old albums that I hadn't listened to in a while. No classical though?
-JoPa

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Me said...

Well, I guess my list inspired the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They did a little one-up-manship and listed 200 albums though.
http://www.definitive200.com/200_list.php

 

Post a Comment

<< Home