Saturday, February 09, 2008

Caucus

I went to my first political caucus this week. I headed on over to Erie High School a little early, as I figured I could get a good parking spot and sign in. As I approached the high school, I couldn't believe the traffic. There were hundreds of cars trying to get into the parking lot. The high school is brand new and normally has ample parking, but I had to search for a parking spot behind the school. I think their were 6 precincts total, split between the auditorium and cafeteria. Nearly 400 boulder county residents were placed in the auditorium, and about 200 Weld County residents were in the cafeteria. Our caucus organizer said that he couldn't remember more than a dozen people total showing up far a caucus in the past. Our precinct alone had 96 people.

Our precint has the most delegates (13) in Weld County, and we turned out strong for Obama. The vote in our precinct was Obama - 70 and Clinton - 26, which resulted in 9 and 4 delegates respectively. According to the Colorado Democratic Party website, in Weld County, Obama received 1,660 votes, and Clinton received 920. In Boulder County, Obama received 13,100 votes, and Clinton received 4,426. Statewide, Obama won by a margin of almost 2 to 1. The overwhelming turnout just goes to show the passion and desire that people have for change from the current incompetence, corruption, and cronyism of the current administration. I believe that Barack Obama is the candidate to lead that charge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home